Friday, February 26, 2010

Plumeria Rubra - The frangipani or chempaka or egg flower

The plant
Some time ago, the Plumeria Rubra was probably better known as the Frangipani. However, since the frangipani has quite bad press (for being associated with death, being usually planted at graveyards), I suspect, the local landscapers began to promulgate the name "plumeria". My mother calls it the egg flower, which I suspect is another name for the frangipani.

Very popular for its variety of colourful flowers, and its low maintenance need, the plumeria seems ideal for planting at the traffic islands at cross road junction, which are landscapes understandably difficult to maintain. Perhaps, it is ideal for planting at traffic islands also because it is not bushy (I suspect, when it is exposed to the sun, as seen from the bare tree on the left), thus, it doesn't obscure road signs.

The picture
The picture above was taken at Ang Moh Kio park from an overhead bridge. The silver skeleton of the plumeria gives off a cool feeling to the hot afternoon from after.

The picture (right) featuring a more typical popular plumeria plant, was taken along the road, somewhere in Eastern Singapore, if I remember correctly. The showy flowers were really very attractive and beckoning, especially how they were hanging down from above.

The personal-take
Personally, I have mixed feelings about the plumeria. Although I concede that it is very attractive and functional (with the low maintenance required), I can't help but feel that they're rather superficial. Perhaps, it's gotta do with how they have brittle branches which cannot withstand strong wind, and I like wind.

Maybe they don't mind getting their branches a little chipped, and the wind don't mind breaking it a little, and nobody minds anything, and I'm should just mind my own business and let everybody be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment